Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Return of the...



The idea of putting pen to paper is a simplistic idea, even virtually via keyboard and keystrokes.  Hand poised, words flitting through the mind; forwards, backwards, sideways, up, down, left, right and centre.  But, wait, hold on a minute!   Bam!  Suddenly, the mind goes blank and everything buzzing around and begging for attention has disappeared!  Where has it gone?  Into the black void of this damned-able thing called a writer’s block.  Is it person?  Plant?  Mineral?  Oh, no no no!   It’s a bird!  No, it’s a plane!  Wait, no!  It’s.. it’s.. an invisible barrier that is nearly insurmountable force that is impassable by the human mind without focus of a muse.  What on earth is this sorcery?!  I dare say, if it were a human, I would boldly inquire if it were, in fact, a wizard!  And how dare he (or she, whatever your preference be) deny the flow that wants to be expressed in any way, shape or form?!  Nay, how dare they impede this creative process?  Damn you, writer’s block.  Damn you, straight to hell!

My writer’s block came in the form of losing belief in myself and my ability to write.  I don’t believe that I’m the next Stephen King or Anne Rice, but I do believe I have some talent or I’d have been told to hang my hat up on it awhile ago.  At least, I hope someone would have the ability to stand up to me and say “Hey, you. Yeah, you right there.  Yep, you’re the one I’m talking to!  You suck.”  However, all my friends have continued to encourage me to keep writing.  “Write,” they say.  As if I am to blindly put my fingers to my keyboard and hope that something golden comes out of this string I’m spinning round and round we go.  So here I am and there you are.  I am going to return to the magical world of imagination and expression.  I hope I find my way back to the creativity that used to flow freely through me.   I plan on updating this blog on a monthly basis with my incredibly sardonic and sarcastic views of whatever flights of fancy catch my.. well.. fancy.

It has occurred to me that while my expressive font may have dwindled to a dry blotch on parchment, my creativity and imagination continues to grow by leaps and bounds – especially whilst I’m trying to sleep.  I still have as vivid as ever dreams which range from awesome to incredibly gruesome.  If I could just get what I see in my dreams to paper, who knows?  I could write the next occult horror flick!  Wouldn’t that just be something?  Anyway, I’m going to range in my rambling of these great visions of grandeur and start to work on my next full(er) piece of.. whatever the hell comes out.

I hope you guys come along for this ride and stick with me while I find my way back to myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment